The Problem With Sitting At Your Desk All Day
The Problem with Sitting, many of us spend long periods of time sitting throughout the day. Whether staring at a computer screen, driving a car, watching television or playing video games, it is doing you harm.
The Problem with sitting all day includes:
- rounded shoulders
- slumping forward
- jutting out your chin.
Poor posture not only looks bad but can also lead to thoracic (mid back) pain, neck pain and lower back pain.
PSST . . . Heres a FREEBIE I made for you
The Problem With Sitting
Tremendous strain is placed on muscles, bones, and joints after 20 minutes of sitting in the same spot without moving . Ligaments begin to stretch and struggle to retain tension and stability around the joints. We can help take the strain on those poor ligaments by taking a “posture break” every 30 minutes. A good idea is to set a reminder in your phone, or on the computer every 30 minutes. Another handy tip is to give this exercise to workmates. Not only will they thank you, but you wont be the only one looking like a goose every half an hour.
A plethora of health conditions including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity increase with loner periods of sitting.
If pain persists please consult a health care practitioner.
If you notice yourself sitting in the same spot for to long try this little exercise to open the chest and gives the ligament a break.
This exercise can be done either sitting or standing.
- Start off by rolling your shoulders back and down setting your shoulder blades in a neutral position.
- Straighten out your elbows, down by your side and open your palms so they are facing forward and thumbs pointing out to the side.
- Take a big breath in and then as you exhale, begin to rotate you arms out so that your thumbs begin to point behind you.
- Hold the arms in this position and again take a deep breath in, then as you breath out rotate the arms outwards again.
- Repeat this routine about 5 times. Regular posture breaks every 30 minutes will help take the strain off of the ligaments. Back pain decrease, the nervous system resets, and concentration improves when you are active.